Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Mississippi


My SUV was packed with my two children, a few friends and me. We were driving home from a short day trip and that last hour in the car became extremely boring - so I cleverly occupied my oldest son with a spelling game. He was completely up for the challenge as his two-year-old brother, sitting next to him, listened and laughed along. After doing this game for about forty-minutes I was ready for it to be over - so I began to make my spelling words harder and harder for him to spell. Finally I blurted out, “Okay, spell Mississippi.” As expected, he whined, “Mississippi! ... Mom, I don’t know how to spell Mississippi!” So I began singing it in crazy spelling fashion, “M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I … M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I … M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I.” When all of a sudden my two-year-old yells out, “No, No … No P-P-I, No P-P-I!”
I look in the rear view mirror and my little one is holding one hand over his eye. He most certainly didn’t want his big brother to pee-pee him in the eye! We all laughed so hard the rest of the drive home, and my kids were more endearing to me than ever that day!


Gena

photo credit:
http://www.apples4theteacher.com/usa-states/mississippi/facts/index.html

No comments: